Tuesday 28 May 2013

A Springy Update

It is 8.00 on this Tuesday morning, and in about an hour, I am going to begin making phone calls to my customers. It's been a while (actually, precisely a month ago) since my last update about the progress of spring in my area; not for lack of anything but my own inclination and time to myself.

Today, I have a small assortment of spring pictures for you, taken during the past few weeks:

On the 4th of May, we had one of the rare sunny days this month. This was the view from my kitchen window that afternoon.

A closer look at the three lilac trees that are so close together they look like one, sporting the three typical lilac colours.

Every time it was sunny, one of the first views that greeted me after pulling up the blinds on my bedroom window was Lucky (who lives downstairs), sunbathing. Usually I know when he's out there because the magpies and blackbirds make such a racket when they spot him.

And then, a few nights ago, there was this dramatic moon to look at. In the first picture, you can just about spot the silhouettes of the surrounding houses, and the light in the window of one of them. The second is the same view, just zoomed in.

May is almost over, and I do hope June will be a bit warmer and sunnier altogether; I still need the heating and can't leave the house without my padded winter coat most days.

12 comments:

  1. You have a lovely view, and i hope June brings lots of warm sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a view I love in all seasons and at all times of day or night, but it just looks so much nicer with the sun.

      Delete
  2. I hope your June, and everyone's June, will have happier weather. We keep going from too too hot to too too cold and back again.......We've had serious frost and in upstate New York, snow.......

    But I love your photos! I have several colors of lilac though not all together as in your picture. One of my favorite Spring flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them, Kristi! By now, the lilac has all turned "rusty", and almost all orchard trees have shed their blossoms and have gone entirely green, but soon, the privet hedges around here and the roses will bloom, and my neighbourhood will become drenched in wonderful scent.

      Delete
  3. Until I enlarged the photo, I thought Lucky was a fox!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stuttgart has, I've been told by someone who knows, a population of about 5.000 foxes; no idea how many live in my much smaller town of Ludwigsburg, but Lucky isn't one of them (although I very much like the idea of having a fox living downstairs. Would the magpies make the same racket for him, I wonder?).

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful moon! It reminds me of the Highwayman by Alfred Noyes, do you know it?
    Seems like the trees in the area are growing. The lilacs are so pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything has been growing here like mad, Julie, what with the copious rains we're having and long daylight hours in spite of the lack of sun.
      No, I don't know the Highwayman by Alfred Noyes, but I guess it is a painting and will look it up right now.

      Delete
  5. I love that view from your kitchen window.
    I envy you those lilacs. I remember them from England, the only place I have ever seen them (or smelled them!).
    I also love your moon photos, how wonderful that you are in a good spot to photograph them! Often here, there is too much stray light and also lots of trees in the way.
    I hope it will warm up for you soon and you can put away that winter coat!
    Oh, and I forgot to say...on the 4th of May, I went to a wedding that day and it was POURING with rain. Poor couple, you can't know what the weather will do! It was a nice wedding anyway, it was held on the verandah of a golfing country club, so it was pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kay, I am glad that you are not bored by my frequent posting of the same view (although it never really looks exactly the same, does it!).
      Isn't rain on one's wedding day supposed to mean good luck? Not that I believe such things, but it may be a small consolation :-)

      Delete
  6. What a change a month can make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I very much hope for another change this month! May was cold and rainy most of the time, and June is only two days old, so there's still hope - right now, I have the heating on.

      Delete