Wednesday 16 July 2014

Wednesday at Nunnington Hall: Part II

After lunch, the sky looked as if we could dare a quick stroll around the garden. It even stopped raining after a while, which made it a lot easier to walk around and take pictures, and so we ended up exploring the entire grounds.

It was one of these stone spheres that the peacock perched on in one of the pictures in my previous post:


The grass and wildflowers in the orchard is left to grow as it pleases, with just one or two paths mowed in for the people who work there (and the visitors). Large parts of the gardens are managed in a "green" way, emphasiszing natural growth and the importance of encouraging wildlife in your garden.

Being out here also allowed for different views of Nunnington Hall itself, something I always like to do with buildings.
And of course, we met Mr. Peacock up close!

Everything was very well cared for, very green - and very wet. But that did not deter us, and I took even more pictures, of the vegetable gardens and the very pretty wendy house, and eventually, outside the actual grounds. I'll show you tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. The grounds are lovely! Some manicured and some allowed to grow wild makes for a nice contrast and pleasant walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I liked so much about it, and even the manicured bits were not too "artificial", there was still a very natural look overall.

      Delete
  2. Lovely place for a stroll around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Yorkshire Tourist Board should employ you! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they did, I'd be happy to work for them! I don't come cheap, though.

      Delete
  4. I enjoy gardens like that particularly at the moment because I can walk and look and there's no pressure to hurry. I've always enjoyed gardens but now that I can't ramble and hike for the moment they give more manageable walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And on a day less wet than when we went there, you could even sit down on a bench and enjoy the views and atmosphere without having to move around much.

      Delete