Wednesday 31 August 2016

Yorkshire Holiday 2016: Afternoon Sun

At the end of my previous post, I said that it had not been my last walk for the day. In fact, after we returned home and had a rest (and something to eat), I decided to go out again - the day was so nice, and I simply wanted to walk some more. This time, I went on my own, allowing my sister some peace and quiet with her book on the settee :-)

It wasn't anywhere "new" or "exciting", just a walk we'd been on before. If you want to compare, click here for pictures of the same walk two years ago and look for changes.







Up until now, I had met maybe three or four other people on the path; two with dogs, and a few others on their own. After that, I did not meet a soul until I was back across the river in Ripon.









The village of Sharow:





After this point, I was back in town, and walked maybe another 15 minutes until I was home again. The early evening light had made this walk extra nice, but now I had done enough walking for one day and was looking forward to joining my sister in our cosy living room.

14 comments:

  1. Another nice walk. I like that photo with the gate, and the big tree in the field beyond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the gate, too - just wish my shadow wasn't in the picture :-)
      The fields and trees were so still and peaceful then; I can evoke that atmosphere in my mind when I look at the pictures again and think back.

      Delete
  2. Another lovely walk...I like the village in the distance and the bridge and the marker for the historic sanctuary......Really, I like it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Kristi. I was thinking about walking around the village a bit more to explore, but was getting hungry and did not want to stay out much longer; also, I did not want to have my sister worry.

      Delete
  3. What a glorious late walk in lovely, summery weather. Ripon's ancient area of sanctuary is a new one on me. I wonder how it operated in times past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. I suppose people representing the law knew about is just as everybody else, and respected those boundaries when someone was seeking sanctuary over night.

      Delete
  4. Wow, looks like you had some great weather while you were in England! Lucky you!
    I wrote about sanctuary in one of my posts and I had a link to some more info about it!
    (Just read the comment above.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that post of yours, Kay; I think I even linked to my own post in my comment.
      We really had good weather for the two weeks in Yorkshire, with just one rainy day.

      Delete
  5. Now that there is water and the sun's out my soul has recovered (from the last post) and I'm happy again (although I'd still like some mountains in the distance).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really a mountainous region, Yorkshire - unless you count the Pennines, of course!

      Delete
  6. It's those paths that I love so much. I feel like I would be a different person if I could walk in such places every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such paths are irresistible to me, Nan - I HAVE to walk them, and I guess I would still walk them often if I lived there.

      Delete
  7. It looks a beautiful walk, and that Yorkshire landscape just shines in the late summer sun. It occurs to me that I never walk alone for pleasure. On errands, to the shops, all the time, but just for the sheer pleasure of walking? It's impossible. I can imagine it's rather nice though. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, Gillian! It is the best therapy for an overactive mind. Not that my mind has been overactive lately, but it used to be.

      Delete