Wednesday 17 August 2016

Yorkshire Holiday 2016: Fountains Abbey

Here we are, finally back after one year at one of my favourite places on this planet! Not that I know all that many places on the plant, but Fountains Abbey is special - not just to me, it seems, because it is a UNESCO World Heritage site, and you all know that not just any old pile of stones gets on that list.

So as not to repeat myself too much, I ask you to click here to find a very brief summary of the abbey's history on my blog. This year, I didn't exactly learn anything new, but I took some pictures from angles I've not shown you before - and for the first time since visiting this place, I've NOT been inside the cellarium, and have NOT taken a shot all the length of the huge nave, either.










The day was the day of St. Wilfrid's parade in Ripon - an event we've been to before and thought we could easily give a miss. 
Our idea had been that probably a great many people were going into the town for the festivities, leaving us plenty of peace and quiet to enjoy the abbey. But there were still an amazing number of people at the abbey; no problem, really, as there is more than enough space for everyone. It was just a little unexpected.
Also, the queues at the two tea rooms were rather long (one at the mill and one at Studley Lake, the other end of the estate). We decided to give them a miss and had a picnic of water we'd brought from the cottage and a few bits of fudge my sister got at the visitor centre.

By the time we arrived back home after our walk (which we enjoyed very much!), it was many hours since breakfast, and we were both VERY ready for something to eat :-)

ADDENDUM: I have only just realized that this was my post # 900. How fitting that it should be about one of my favourite places!

12 comments:

  1. Fountains is always worth a visit - as is the church in the park, St Mary's. You've taken some great shots here - so glad you enjoyed your break in beautiful Yorkshire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it! (Always worth a visit, I mean.)
      I'd love to come here in all seasons; so far, I know the place only in late spring and summer but have never seen it in autumn or winter which I imagine very beautiful.

      Delete
  2. PS - Congratulations on your 900th post - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I've probably told you before, I've been there - way back in 1974. Love your crisp clear photos with all the details. (The ones in my old album are not only blurred to begin with but also faded in colour by now...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you mentioning it, Moncia. I'm glad my photos turned out alright; the ones taken inside our cottage were a bit blurred, but then you've seen them all before on my blog anyway :-)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your 900th post! What a beautiful place this is. I am not at all surprised it brings you back year after year. Don't you wish they would perfect time travel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about time travel, Kristi, as the place would be a lot less quiet than it is now! But it would certainly be interesting to look at the buildings in all their glory.

      Delete
  5. Awesome pictures, again! I would love to visit such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! I think it is worth even a trip as long as yours would be, just to see it.

      Delete
  6. Write out a hundred times "I must revisit". I bet children don't get 'lines' as a punishment any more. In fact do children get punished any more? Just random thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it, Graham; from what I hear about kindergarten and school nowadays, children are not even to be criticized for lousy work but praised even for the most minimal of efforts they may (or my not) have made. Not sure that is helpful for them on the long run.

      Delete